Financial Aid Policies

In order to receive Federal Student Aid, the U.S. Department of Education requires that students maintain satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of their degree.
Federal Student Aid includes:

  • Federal Pell Grant, Federal TEACH Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Work-Study, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) and Federal Direct PLUS Loan.

Also, other federal agencies may require students to maintain satisfactory academic progress for their aid programs. The academic record of all students will be monitored to ensure compliance with the requirements specified below. Therefore, even the academic record of those who have not received Federal Student Aid in the past may impact future eligibility. Failure to meet the following standards will result in financial aid suspension of eligibility for Federal Student Aid.

Qualitative Measures
Undergraduate Students
An undergraduate student must meet minimum academic progression standards. These standards are based on the student's cumulative grade point average. The cumulative grade point average is calculated in accordance with the Mount Marty College institutional grading policy. All audited coursework is excluded from this calculation. Making satisfactory academic progression is as follows:

  1. A student with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better is considered to be in good academic standing.
  2. If a student's cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 in any academic term (i.e. fall, spring, summer), the student is placed on financial aid warning the following term.
  3. While on financial aid warning, the student must earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better.
  4. When a student on financial aid warning achieves a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better, the student is returned to good academic standing.
  5. A student on financial aid warning who fails to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better is placed on financial aid suspension.

A review takes place at the end of every term (fall, spring, summer). A student placed on academic suspension is also placed on financial aid suspension. Being reinstated academically does not guarantee financial aid reinstatement. The student must separately appeal the financial aid suspension as defined under the Appeal of Financial Aid Suspension section.

Graduate Students
A graduate student must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0.

Quantitative Measures
In order to maintain satisfactory progress toward the completion of their degree, all students must successfully complete 67% of cumulative attempted credit hours. Attempted credit hours include all hours that would appear on a student's academic transcript at the end of any given term, including withdrawals, incompletes, repeated courses, remedial coursework, transfer hours and hours attempted at any time when not receiving Federal Student Aid. Audited coursework is not included. Hours that may have been part of a successful academic amnesty appeal will still be included. Successfully completed hours for both graduate and undergraduate students include grades of A, B, C, D and P. All other grades would not be considered successful completion. Evaluation of this quantitative standard will be measured at the end of each term.

Maximum Attempted Credit Hours
The U.S. Department of Education has established a limit on the number of credit hours a student can attempt and still remain eligible for Federal Student Aid. This limit is based on 150% of the credit hours needed to complete the degree for which the student is pursuing.

Type of Degree   Maximum Credit Hrs Accepted
 Two-Year Associate  96
 Four-Year Bachelor 192 
 Master of Education  45
 Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia 90 
Master of Science in Nursing Practitioner 67
Master of Science in Nursing Public Health 58

Appeal of Financial Aid Suspension
Students, who have had their eligibility for Federal Student Aid suspended, may complete an appeal form to explain mitigating circumstances. There is no guarantee for approving a financial aid eligibility appeal. Such appeals will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Appeal forms are available in the Mount Marty College Financial Assistance Office or on the Mount Marty College Financial Assistance website. If an appeal is granted, the student will be placed on financial aid probation for one semester in order to meet satisfactory academic progress standards. The student may also be placed on an academic plan to regain satisfactory academic progress. If the student has not met the satisfactory academic progress standards after the one semester probation semester, their financial aid will be suspended. Likewise, if the student fails to achieve the conditions of their academic plan as provided in their appeal, their financial aid will be suspended. To ensure a timely review, students should make an appeal at least one month in advance of the start of the term for which they wish to receive aid. Being reinstated academically does not guarantee financial aid reinstatement.

Reinstatement of Financial Aid Eligibility
Students who have lost their Federal Aid eligibility, but have subsequently met the qualitative and/or quantitative standards as stated above, will have their aid eligibility reinstated. Reinstatement will be considered effective with the next term of attendance.

Satisfactory Academic Progress and Non-Federal Aid
There are also non-federal sources of financial assistance (institutional, local, private, state), which may require students to meet satisfactory academic progress standards. Students who apply for non-federal forms of aid are advised to review their academic standards in order to determine or ensure continued eligibility. Mount Marty College institutional aid has the same Financial Aid Suspension guidelines as stated above.

To be eligible for aid, a student must meet certain general criteria. As a recipient of federal student aid, a student has certain rights and responsibilities. Knowing what they are will put the student in a better position to make decisions about his/her educational goals and how to achieve them.

Student Rights

  • To know what financial aid programs are available.
  • To know the deadlines for submitting applications for each of the financial aid programs available.
  • To know how financial aid will be distributed, how decisions on that distribution are made and the basis for these decisions.
  • To know how financial need was determined. This includes how costs for tuition and fees, room and board, travel, books and supplies, personal and miscellaneous expenses, etc., are considered in the student's budget.
  • To know what resources (such as parental contribution, other financial aid, assets, etc.) were considered in the calculation of financial need.
  • To know how much financial need as determined by the institution has been met.
  • To request an explanation of the various programs in students aid packages.
  • To know the school's refund policy.
  • To know what portion of the financial aid received must be repaid and what portion is grant aid. If the aid is a loan, the right to know what the interest rate is, the total amount that must be repaid, the payback procedures, the length of time to repay the loan and when repayment is to begin.
  • To know how the school determines satisfactory progress and what happens if satisfactory progress is not made.
  • To know if you are offered a College Work-Study position - what kind of job it is, what hours you must work, what your duties will be, what the rate of pay will be, and how and when you will be paid.
  • To know that you can request that your aid package can be reconsidered if you believe a mistake has been made, or if your enrollment or financial circumstances have changed.

Student Responsibilities

  • To review and consider all information about the school's program before you enroll.
  • To complete all application forms accurately and submit them on time to the correct place.
  • To provide correct information. In most instances, misreporting information on financial aid application forms is a violation of law and my be considered a criminal offense which could result in indictment under the U.S. Criminal Code.
  • To return all additional documentation, verification, corrections and new information requested by either the financial aid office or the agency to which applications are submitted.
  • To read and understand all forms that the student is asked to sign and to keep copies of them.
  • To accept responsibility for all agreements signed.
  • To perform the work that is agreed upon when accepting a Work-Study Award.
  • To be aware of and comply with the deadlines for application or reapplication for aid.
  • To be aware of the school's refund procedures.
  • To complete an entrance and exit interview if you have a Perkins Loan, Nursing Loan, Federal Direct Subsidized Loan, or Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan.
  • To notify your school of a change in your name, address, or attendance status (half-time, three-quarter-time, or full-time). If you have a loan, you must also notify your loan servicer of these changes.
  • To repay immediately upon demand all financial aid over awards or mis-entitlements.

Transfer Students

  • Check with the financial aid officer at the new school on financial aid availability.
  • Check with the loan servicer to cancel a Federal Direct Loan from the prior school and reapply at the new school.
  • Inform the new school's financial aid office of your DRN # and SAR transaction number from the Student Aid.
  • Report, as well as submit any other documentation requested by the financial aid office.

Once registered, students assume the responsibility for the payment of all tuition and fees. If your plans have changed and you need to drop a class or withdraw from college, you need to complete the proper paperwork with the College. Students wishing to withdraw from a course must complete a drop/add form with their advisor. Students wishing to withdraw from all of their courses must complete the necessary paperwork with the Director of Student Advising. Tuition and/or fee refunds are based on the day the necessary paperwork is completed.

The tuition refund policy for fall and spring semesters

  • 100% Tuition refund for courses dropped within the first week of classes.
  • 60% Tuition refund for courses dropped within the second week of classes.
  • No refunds will be made for courses dropped after the second week of classes.
  • Fees are nonrefundable once classes begin.
  • The refund for room and board is determined according to the number of weeks the student has been in residence, with partial weeks counted as full weeks.

Please Note
If you have received federal grants and/or loans to pay for your costs of attending the College, and withdraw within the first 60% of the semester, you may be required to return all or a portion of the federal funds you received according to federal regulations. This may cause you to owe a repayment to the federal government or to the College. Please refer to the Mount Marty College Catalog for more information.

This policy applies to students who withdraw or are expelled during the first 60% of the semester. The term "Title IV Funds" refers to the Federal financial aid programs authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and includes the following programs: Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Federal Direct Subsidized Loans, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct PLUS Loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) and Federal Teacher Education Assistant for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH).

The student's withdrawal date is:

  • The date the student began the institution's withdrawal process (as described under the section Registration Information/Withdrawal from College in the Mount Marty College Catalog) or officially notified the institution of intent to withdraw; or
  • The midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution; or
  • The student's last date of attendance at a documented academically-related activity

Title IV aid is earned in a prorated manner up to the 60% point in the semester. Title IV aid is viewed as being 100% earned after that point in time. If a student withdraws on or before the 60% point in the period of enrollment (calculated using calendar days), the student may be required to return all or a portion of the Federal Title IV funds they recieved. The calculation of the return of these funds may result in the student owing a balance to the college and/or the Federal Government. A copy of the "Return of Title IV Funds Worksheet" used for this calculation is available in the Mount Marty College Financial Assistance Office.

Mount Marty College responsibilities regarding "Return of Title IV Funds"

  • Dispersing "Return of Title IV Funds" information to students
  • Identifying students affected by this requirement
  • Completing the "Return of Title IV Funds" worksheet calculation for those students
  • Returning any Title IV funds that are due the Title IV programs

The student's responsibilities regarding the "Return of Title IV Funds"

  • Returning to the Title IV programs any funds that were disbursed directly to the student and which the student was determined to be ineligible for after the "Return of Title IV Funds" worksheet is calculated.

The order for the return of Title IV funds

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
  • Federal Teacher Education Assistant for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)
  • Other Title IV assistance

The Board of Trustees of Mount Marty College reserves the right to make changes in charges published in this bulletin whenever it may be necessary to do so.

The Director of Financial Assistance may use professional judgment on a case-by-case basis for students with special circumstances. Professional judgment is used to take into consideration factors which have not been reflected on a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The professional judgment may either increase or decrease data elements used to calculate a student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Expenses may also be added to a student's budgeted cost of attendance depending on the situation.

The Director will request any documentation from the student that is deemed necessary to make a determination. No professional judgment will be approved unless adequate information is provided.

Some examples of special conditions include elementary or secondary school tuition, unusual medical or dental expenses not covered by insurance, a family member who recently became unemployed and other situations which may effect the family's true ability to contribute. Circumstances which are brought before the director will be analyzed on a case-by-case basis to see if a professional judgment is warranted.

The Director may use professional judgment to override a student's dependency status if unusual circumstances justify such an action.  In cases of extreme circumstances the Director may override a dependency status in order to reflect the student's situation more accurately. Examples of these circumstances include parental abuse or abandonment. These situations must be documented by unbiased third party statements, along with evidence the student is financially independent.

Contact the Financial Assistance Office for more information if you feel you have a situation requiring a professional judgment.

You should receive a FAFSA Renewal Reminder from the Federal Processor that will be sent either to your valid email address or to your home address informing you on the reapplication process. You can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in one of two ways:

  • Renewal FAFSA on the Web
    • You, along with a parent if dependent, can use your FSA ID to electronically sign your FAFSA. If you do not use a FSA ID to sign online, you will need to print a signature page, sign it, along with a parent if you are dependent, and mail it.
  • Paper
    • Contact the Financial Assistance Office

Applying for a FSA ID
If you don't already have a FSA ID or forgot your FSA ID, you can apply for one online. You will need a FSA ID to electronically sign your FAFSA. If you are a dependent student, at least one parent should also apply for a FSA ID so they can electronically sign your FAFSA. Your FSA ID will be emailed to you within 1 to 5 days. If you do not provide a valid email address, your FSA ID will be mailed to you within 7 to 10 days.

If you have any questions, please contact the Mount Marty College Financial Assistance Office.

MMC Title IV Code: 003465
MMC Priority Date: March 1st